Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Retro Downloadable Content Part 1

With downloadable content becoming more and more popular, and with the ability to download it onto pretty much any system, I thought I might take a minute to list off some of the retro games I'd like to see available for download, hopefully in the near future. As a portable gaming enthusiast, I'm going to make two lists. One for retro games I'd like to be able to download onto my PSP. The second list will be for the DSi and its DSi Ware store. The DSi list will technically be pointless simply because Nintendo will need to release a Virtual Console for GameBoy, GameBoy Color and possibly GameBoy Advance games for the DSi before any of my wishlist for it can come to be.10 Retro Games (Or Series Of Games) I'd Like To See On The Playstation Network (PSP List):

-The first games that come to mind are the Quake series. They may not be as retro as games like the original Mario, but they still take me back. If I had to settle for only one game in the series, it would have to be Quake 1. There was just something about that game that made me play it over and over. I'd love to be able to have a portable version to take with me. (They made Quake for the Pocket PC, why not for the PSP?)


-Another series I'd like to be able to download is the Hexen series. I know most of you have no idea what those games are, so I'll sum up. Hexen and Hexen 2 were basically Quake-like games, but with swords and axes instead of shotguns and nailguns. The gameplay was extremely similar to Quake, but with a medieval twist to it that I loved.


-With the rumors of Sega Dreamcast games coming to the Playstation Network, I thought I'd include a couple of them in this list. (Yes, I'm counting the Dreamcast games as a "series".) The orignal Soul Caliber would be an excellent game to download, though unlikely with an actual PSP version of the game coming out. Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 were awesome on the Dreamcast and could only be better as PSP downloads. Sonic Adventure, while straying from the original side scroller versions of the game, was still amazing; I'd definitely like to play that on my PSP.


-Two PSOne games that I'd like to be able to download are Megaman Legends 1 & 2. They took the world of Megaman and made it into an RPG that was different than pretty much any other RPG. I really want both to become available on my PSP.


-With the release of Final Fantasy 7 as a download and the recent release of Final Fantasy 8 in Japan, I'd just like to say: "Keep it up!" I want to play some good old Final Fantasy 9 on my PSP, so just keep releasing them.


-Although this choice seems unlikely to happen, it would be cool if Lucas Arts' Grim Fandango became available. I loved the game for many reasons and still do, but it's becoming hard to find anywhere.


-Speaking of Lucas Arts, there are a couple other games from their lineup that would make excellent downloads. Obviously the Monkey Island games would be great, but I especially want to be able to play Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantas again. The game was similar to the original Monkey Island, but was based in the world of Indy. Nothing like a game where you get to outsmart Nazis to lighten your mood.


-While we're on the topic of Nazis, I know that Wolfenstein 3d, that classic Nazi hunter FPS, was released on the Playstation Network (PSN), so that won't be on my list, but what about some other classic FPSs? Doom or Duke Nukem, anyone? I know I'd like that.


-Does anyone remember the Descent games? If not, I feel sorry for you. I'm pretty sure there were only 3 of them. These truly great spaceship/FPS games were some of my favorites. At the time they came out, they had high end, 3d graphics, but now, they seem like they would run perfectly on a PSPs screen. These 3 games are probably the least likely to be released, but a guy can hope, right?


-For the last on my wishlist, I'm casting my fishing pole of hopes into the sea of retro gaming downloadable content and hoping to pull out a very obscure title: MDK. MDK was one of the strangest 3rd person shooters I've ever played, but one of the most addicting. With an odd assortment of weapons and items, which included a hand mounted gattling gun, mini-nukes, and a built in, retractable, reusable parachute, MDK changed how I think about shooters. This game also seems unlikely to ever be released, due to how obscure a title it is, but I'm going to keep my eyes out for any sign of it.


Well, that's my wishlist for the Playstation Network. Some seem more likely than others, but I really hope I'll get to see all of them available one of these days.


Watch for my DSi list to come in the next little while.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember those old Decent games. Good times. Although I only remember playing one of them though, can't remember which one it was.

    I'd also love to see Quake on there as well. Although for me I'd say both Quake and Quake II. Quake II is actually the one I have the most fond memories spending all kinds of time on back on the old N64. I also remember killing people in multiplayer mode as well. Ah yes, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine how awesome multiplayer would be on Quake II if it was ported to the PSP? Also, wouldn't it be pretty cool if they came up with a way to do multiplayer on the Descent games? I think it would be.
    I'm really hoping that at least some of the games I listed make their way to systems. The old school gamer in me misses those games of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dude, multiplayer on Decent would be dang awesome!!! Quake II's was alreaawesome enough as it was, but it really would be equally as awesome having it on the PSP. Both of those would definitely be something to look forward too if they were to release, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quake II's multiplayer was pretty awesome, it could only get better on a handheld system. And I know nobody has really ever heard of Hexen, but I think it would be equally as awesome as Quake. The games were, I think, made by the same company. Quake just did a lot better than Hexen, but I loved Hexen. The medieval theme was just epic in my mind.

    ReplyDelete