Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Retro Downloadable Content Part 2

Well, hopefully you all read my wishlist of retro downloads I'd like to see available on my PSP via the Playstation Network. If not, the link is here.

This post though, is my wishlist for retro games I'd like to see made available on the DSi. Just as a note, this whole list is not likely to come to pass unless Nintendo decides to make a Virtual Console for the DSi that will play GameBoy games. So, before the list, I'd just like to say that I, and many, many other people are all hoping for that Virtual Console.10 Retro Games (Or Series Of Games) I'd Like To Be Able To Download Onto My DSi:

-First on my list is Zelda games. There were only a few released on the GameBoy, but the few that were are some of the best. Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages would be the three that I'd most like to see on the DSiWare store.

-Next is the Super Mario Land games, all three of them. They took what was great on the Super Mario games on the NES, tweaked it, and made three awesome games. If I had to choose just one of them, I'd probably go with Super Mario Land 2, with 1 close behind.

-I know I may be mocked for this, but I do enjoy the Pokemon series of games; they're just good RPGs. With the release of the DS versions of Pokemon (Pearl, Diamond, Platinum and soon Heart Gold and Soul Silver) making downloadable versions of the earlier games would seem like a good idea. Especially if they came up with a way to transfer Pokemon between the downloads and the DS cartridge games, which I'm sure they'd be able to do.

-In recent times, it seems that Sega and Nintendo have joined forces just slightly, we've seen Sonic in several Nintendo games, from Olympic games to the Super Smash Bros. series, so I hope it's not too much to ask that those wonderful Sonic the Hedgehog games from the Sega Genesis make an appearance on the DSi.

-If I can ask for Genesis style Sonic games, I'd like to also ask for a couple other Genesis games; Earthworm Jim would be one of those, as well as Altered Beast. Both are classics that would be more than welcome on my DSi.

-If we're going to do more than just wish for GameBoy games, I'd like to also see Donkey Kong Country make it's way to the DSi store and, in line with that, the Donkey Kong Land games that were released on the GameBoy. I think Donkey Kong Land 2 was the first video game I ever owned. It came with my GameBoy Pocket and I've never gotten sick of playing it. Porting it over to the DSi would be a grand trip down the road of nostalgia.

-I would be remiss to not mention two of the greatest Disney video games ever in this list. Both Aladdin and The Lion King were great games and would make a great addition to my DSi. After all the years they've been out, I still think these two are the best foray into video games Disney has made. (Besides Kingdom Hearts, of course.)

-I love puzzle games so I think it goes without saying that Tetris should have been made available on the DSi Store a long time ago. I want the original Tetris that started it all.

-I know I already wished for Super Mario Land games, but I think I should also ask for the Super Mario Bros. games that were released on the NES and SNES. (Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, & 3 as well as Super Mario World.) Yes, yes, I know that they aleady reincarnated those as GameBoy Advance games, but that doesn't mean they should stop there. Besides, the DSi doesn't even have a GBA slot, so I can't very well play them on it anyway.

-For my last wish, I'm going to wish for something that would be incredibly easy to port to the DSi: Mario Paint. Think about it; when it came out for the SNES you had to have a mouse to play it, think about how much easier it would be with a touch screen/stylus setup. I would really love to mess around with the music creator again which, again, would be much easier with a stylus.

So there's my wishlist for Nintendo DSiWare. Are my hopes set too high? Are most of these unlikely to ever be ported over? Or do you think Nintendo might just fulfil my dreams?

What about you? Do you have any retro games you'd love to be able to download and play on your new gen systems? Let us know what they are in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty good list there. I'm totally with you on wanting to see all of the Pokemon games, both past and present, on there, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Those games really are some of the best RPGs out there.

    In any case, one old retro game that immediately comes to mind that I'd love to see on there actually already has had a re-release for the DS, that being Chrono Trigger. But come to think of it, I'd also love to see them resurrect the old NES/SNES Ninja Turtles games. I remember spending hours on end as a kid playing those games, those were really, really awesome games. Especially the 3rd one, that one was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those games! Those were awesome!
    I can think of one other series of games I'd like to see as downloadable content on either the Playstation Network or the DSiWare store. Do you remember the Commander Keen games? I sure do, and I'd love to be able to play them again, especially on a portable system. Those were such awesome games! Even Keen Dreams, with its vegetable baddies. Definitely going to add the Keen games to my list.

    ReplyDelete