Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Electroplankton

Today I'd like to take a minute to talk about a game that is one of the rare gems in my collection. It's called: Electroplankton.
This Nintendo DS title is not just rare in the sense that it is hard to find (which it is) but has a rare style of gameplay. This is one of the few games I've played that doesn't have a main goal. There is no beginning, middle, or end to the game and there's no way to beat the game. The game is just meant to be played for fun and not to unlock things or get a high score. In fact, there is no scoring system in the game at all and everything is unlocked when you first start playing.
Developed by Toshio Iwai, the whole purpose of the game is to create sounds and music. In the game, there are ten different types of plankton. Each type of plankton does different things when they are interacted with. All of them will make some kind of sound and will create beautiful designs on the screen. You can interact with them through both the touch screen and the microphone on the DS. One type of plankton will create designs on the screen when you make different sound into the microphone. Others will move about on a grid of arrows that point in the direction you choose, and will make different sounds depending on which arrows they land on. Another will record about 10 seconds of audio and will play it back, allowing you to alter it depending on what shape the plankton is.
Honestly, the game is meant to be fun, and it is. The different combinations of sound you can make with it are extremely entertaining. The replay value for the game is quite high. I've spent hours playing with it and still find myself pulling it out to play. If you can manage to find a copy of this game, I recommend picking it up. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

My score: Another 5 out of 5.
I've yet to find another game that is so simple, and yet so intruiging.

1 comment:

  1. Heh heh, definitely sounds like something you'd expect to come out for the DS. ;) Very interesting concept though, I can definitely imagine how much fun it must be to play a game like this. I'll have to be on the look out for it.

    ReplyDelete