Monday, July 27, 2009

Lost In Translation

I've got a question to pose to all of you today. Well, it's more like 3 or 4 questions. First: Are there any mangas out there that you read that you would like to see made into an anime that haven't been yet? What about the other way around? Any animes that you'd like to see made into a manga?

One manga I'd like to see animated is Yotsuba&! It's by Kiyohiko Azuma who was the genius behind Azumanga Daioh. Yotsuba&! is about a little girl and her father (and their friends and neighbors) and the various adventures they go on. No, not big adventures like you would see in something like Full Metal Alchemist, but little adventures; like catching cicadas or going to the store. (Full review coming later.)
Here's another question for you: Are there any mangas out there that you really liked and read every book as they came out, but the company who made them suddenly stopped? Or, at least stopped printing them in America?

I can think of one in particular that I've wanted finished. It's called PhD: Phantasy Degree. The books were printed in America up until book 5, but then they suddenly stopped. It's bugged me ever since. I loved that series. It was very unique. (I'll do a review on it later as well.)
There are a couple of other mangas that I can think of. I'm not sure if it's that they stopped printing them, or that I just can't find them anywhere. A few of them are: Sokora Refugees, Dream Saga, and Yotsuba&!.
Yet another Discussion Time!
I've posed quite a few questions to you, now it's time for you to answer them with your opinions!

4 comments:

  1. In doing the search for the images for this article, I found cover art for books in the series that I didn't know were out. So, I'm going to have to list PhD Phantasy Degree and Sokora Refugees as not discontinued, but as ones that I just can't seem to find anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's any anime series I'd like to see made into a manga. Mostly just because those that I've seen that haven't been are already good enough in their animated format that it's really not necessary. But for manga that I'd like to see made into anime, there's quite a few actually. I'd probably start off with Vagabond, although I can fully understand why there isn't one. Basically Vagabond is a fictional account of the life of a famous samurai named Miyamoto Musashi, and is already based off of a Japanese novel/film called "Musashi." This same tale actually has an anime series that's more aimed for younger audiences as well as an anime film that's coming out pretty soon, but none of them are actually based directly off of Vagabond, just the "Musashi" tale. And Vagabond is just another one of those versions of the story.

    A few other's I'd probably throw out there as well would have to be two of Naoki Urasawa's all-time classics 20th Century Boys and Pluto. Mostly because of the fact that the animated version of his other all-time classic, Monster, is one of the most engaging series I've ever seen. And part of that is due to the fact that, despite telling the exact same story, the anime is superior in every way, pretty much just in the way that it really, really pulls you into what's going on as apposed to the way the manga does it. I'd honestly like to see how that works with the other series he's done as well. I do know that there's been a trio of 20th Century Boys movies that have been releasing as of late though, but I'm not sure if that really counts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yeah, and then there's the manga series I wanted to finish, heh heh. ^_^' The one's I'm thinking of in particular are X/1999 and Fist of the North Star. X is one that I actually want to get into period, but apparently the darned thing is out of print so it's kind of a lost cause for me to..... But yeah, hearing that it never got the finish that it sounds like it deserved is really depressing too. And from the sounds of things, it more than likely never will.

    And then there's Fist of the North Star, which is complete in Japan and everything, but here in the U.S. there's only 9 released volumes of the series, and they're all out of print. So my getting into that series has mostly consisted of trying to watch the over 150 episode anime series (which is well over 20 years old by the way.... ), and even then it only covers 21 of the 27 volumes......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the anime I would like to see made into a manga is My Hime. I know, it already happened. But the manga was bad. I want it done again. Right.

    Manga into anime? Desert Coral. It would be a short anime, but it would be good.

    ReplyDelete